Meet the Team: Minnesota's Best Reviewed Patent Attorneys
Before becoming an attorney, Carl worked as a machinist and later as an engineer designing and developing fluidic sensors and fluidic control systems. He has extensive experience in the field of intellectual property including trademarks, copyrights and patents. He also represents clients in the filing and prosecution of foreign patent applications and Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) applications. Carl represents clients in intellectual property disputes, all phases of both patent prosecution and trademark prosecution, including patent and trademark oppositions. Carl also provides legal opinions, licensing services and settlement negotiation services.
Carl holds membership in the Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA) and the Minnesota Intellectual Property Law Association (MPLA).
Carl obtained his law degree from William Mitchell College of Law in Minnesota. He received his Bachelor of Science degree and a Masters degree in Aeronautical Engineering from the University of Minnesota.
Carl is admitted to the Minnesota State Bar; the U. S. District Court, Minnesota; the U. S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit; and the U. S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. He is registered before the U. S. Patent and Trademark Office.
THOMAS N. PHUNG
Thomas has been a member of the firm since 2000 and practices in the area of intellectual property, including trademarks, copyrights, and patent prosecution. Thomas provides strategic client counseling in the start-up, development, and management of client’s intellectual property portfolios including the protection and enforcement of those rights; and handling of intellectual property disputes.
Recent Representative Cases:
- Prosecuted numerous utility and design patents on behalf of clients in the mechanical, medical, and light chemical industry.
- Successfully represented utility and design patent Applicants through the United States Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences.
- Represented numerous clients through the international patent filing.
- Is the primary attorney handling all of Jacobson & Johnson’s Trademark matters and has successfully obtained hundreds of trademark registrations for clients in the manufacturing, retail, and medical industries.
- Represented numerous clients in obtaining copyright registration through the United States Copyright Office
Thomas obtained his law degree from William Mitchell School of Law in Minnesota in 2001. Thomas received his undergraduate degrees in both in Chemistry and Biology from University of Saint Thomas (Minnesota) in 1998.
Thomas is admitted to the Minnesota State Bar, the U.S. District Court, Minnesota, the United States Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and is registered before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.